At a lot of competitions only the top scoring entries get to advance to the finals while the other players end up moping around while someone else gets all the fun. But at the Wonderful Robot Carnival 2011 the typical scenario was turned completely on its head. The top players had to sit on their hands and wait their turn while everyone else piled into the ring for a massive game of Robot Rumble.
’Robot Rumble Japan Style (Video)’ continues
This Christmas, watch for MMA Robots facing off in a massive rumble to the finish. Coming soon to a robot blog near you!
Produced, directed, and distributed by UncleBot Robotics.
Looks like Iwaki-san and our Robot Force friends down in Osaka had another a blast at RoboFight 11 on Saturday. RoboFight follows the basic ROBO-ONE guidlines and intent, but opens up the physical rules a bit to allow more players to participate. That results in some really fun, and delightful battles.
Here are some of the early battles from the morning competitions.
Things heat up in the afternoon:
And, here are the 'Rumbles', which are often more fun than many of the battles in the ring, and the awards ceremony:
RoboFight is one of the pre-qualifying events for ROBO-ONE, so in addition to the prizes and glory, they also are automatically seeded into the next main ROBO-ONE competition this Fall.
After a long dry spell, we're happy to report that our all time favorite robot competition is back on the calendar, albeit with a few format changes. The 8th Wonderful Robot Carnival is scheduled for Sunday, July 11th at the TEPCO Electric Power Historical Museum near JR Kawasaki Station.
Here's a video montage of photos we took at the 3rd Wonderful Robot Carnival that should give you a feel for why we love this particular competition so much:
We mentioned that it's been a while since the last competition. The primary reason is the huge amount of labor and time that goes into staging the event. Scheduling it every six months was just too much of a burden on the organizers and the volunteer staff that made it all possible. So the decision finally had to be taken to hold it just once a year during the summer.
The organizers have also decided to pare down the number of challenges slightly by eliminating the robot rumble from the agenda. Of course that won't stop the gung-ho competitors from stating their own impromptu rumbles on the side, or during the "nomunication" (drinking+communication) party that always follows the event.
In addition they are trying to proactively embrace the general guidelines established by the Japan Standard Class Robot Community,
What's going on today in my crazy robot world?
- 20:27 How many servos does it take to make a walking humanoid robot? How about 2...? tinyurl.com/69xrmv
- 20:40 If you're going to have robot soccer games and robot battles, you have to have cheerleaders! tinyurl.com/6gtfr2
- 22:17 The Tsukuba Real World Challenge was like the Darpa Challenge only on sidewalks with real people: tinyurl.com/tsukubachallenge
- 05:54 The "robot gap" widens and isn't expected to slow down. tinyurl.com/robot-gap Notice that China and India don't make the top 10.
- 06:42 Homeless UK robot will work for food (tinyurl.com/6aranj), or at least his animator will.
- 08:40 Long before the Terminator or Gort, there was "Tik-Tok of Oz" (1914) and "The Clockwork Man" (1923) tinyurl.com/old-stories
- 08:46 I-Wei needs a new challenge for Crabfu Steamworks, so we thought this 1865 creation would do the trick tinyurl.com/crabfu-challenge
- 09:23 It's not Wall-E, but this mobile robotic arm built using 3 mm signboard and superglue comes close. tinyurl.com/pseudo-wall-e
- 10:47 What do robot loving Australian media consultants do in their spare time? They make Robot Wars videos tinyurl.com/robosapien-wars
- 11:10 The MarvelMind Grumbler robot (tinyurl.com/grumbler-alive) looked really hot, but no website or blog updates in a long, long time...
- 13:07 See the world through the other person's eyes. A simple concept, that some never learn... tinyurl.com/6jju4v
- 13:11 Thanks to the Wizard of Oz, the Tinman got his heart... but what happened next? tinyurl.com/2x83db
- 19:36 Spykee and Rovio duke it out. (tinyurl.com/spykee-vs-rovio) We understand the verdict is being appealed due to cheating by one bot.