Just a few months behind the product release in the US and Europe, Lego Japan will be rolling out the new WeDo robot educational system here in July. Positioned at a younger student population than it’s well established Mindstorms series, Lego Japan stated that the new robot education system can be effectively used to introduce robotic concepts as early as the first grade in elementary school.
In terms of creativity and possible terror factor, this Lego robot monster, built with a mash-up of Mindstorms NXT, BIONICLE, Technic, and classic Lego bricks, is certainly a 10+.
’Lego Robot Goes Bump in the Night (Video)’ continues
William Cox discovered that Lego is selling a special, limited edition, black Mindstorms NXT controller Brick to celebrate Mindstorm’s 10th anniversary.
It’s hard to believe it’s been 10 years already. We can still remember how amazing the original Mindstorms promotional videos were, and how quickly we pulled out our credit card to order one each of all the original Mindstorm kits. It was one of those few purchases that continues to enrich our lives after a decade.
What's going on today in my crazy robot world?
- 21:10 Tim discovered a Japanese robot drawing from 1796 - tinyurl.com/6xwqfx
- 21:13 Japanese Post Office is selling Anime stamps, including some with famous robots tinyurl.com/6fjnqt
- 08:57 Danny Choo selling his Vader suit www.flickr.com/photos/dannychoo/2696503775/sizes/o/ to buy Boba Fett. Too bad it won't fit me. !8-(
- 09:01 The first robot slave revolts and dumps its passenger on the ground! tinyurl.com/5qyksv Let the revolution begin!
- 09:04 The PARO robot is still pretty amazing and cute, but the moves still need a little refinement. tinyurl.com/5nfrgp
- 09:09 Some students, some Lego NXT parts, and a lot of imagination - mix well tinyurl.com/5jjnsh Lots of fun, and learning
- 09:16 Tokyo Polytechnic's spooky running robot cat tinyurl.com/5fn55q created in 2003. Could they do a race horse now?
- 09:23 Kanazawa University's pingpong playing robot tinyurl.com/5h25sm created 15 years ago running on NEC PC9800s.
- 09:30 Before Yamaguchi-san built ROBO-ONE humanoids he cut his teeth on robot dinosaurs tinyurl.com/6ev4ea That was 1999
- 11:35 Great robot video (tinyurl.com/5chyrh) from the 15th Kawasaki Robot Festival www.kawasaki-net.ne.jp/robo/
- 19:44 Robot parking for bicycles: tinyurl.com/5jqghs I'm sure my super-size frame Trek would jam up the works. !8-D
Bazmarc, on Youtube, posted a series of videos(see below) showing his totally cool implementation of the WALL-E robot constructed completely from stock Lego NXT Mindstorms robot system parts. Not only is the robot realistic, it also features some very emotional, and touching, eye movements.
Bazmarc's robot creation does use some third party components, like Mindsensors and HiTechnic - both Lego certified. According to comments on his build videos, the robot uses "1 NXT with rechargable pack, 3 Servo Motors, 4 PF motors, 2 IR receiver, 1 UltraSonic sensor, 1 sound sensor, 1 IRlink, 1 NXTservo module and 1 mini RC servo, 10 AA batteries and Lego from the Bulldozer #8275 and other parts from various technic sets."
According to their 2007 Annual Report, released yesterday in Denmark, The LEGO Group posted strong sales and profits results last year. In spite of the fact that the total toy market dropped by around 2% in 2007 compared to the previous year, LEGO sales and profits continued to make significant gains. LEGO worldwide sales increased by 2.6%. Adjusted for exchange rate fluctuations, total sales grew by a surprising 6%. All of the group's markets saw sales increases during 2007, while the overall market was falling significantly.
The company also reported continued adoption of the LEGO Mindstorms NXT robot kits in the education market worldwide with over 150,000 units sold during 2007.