Ever since the humanoid robot dance competition at IREX last month, robot builders here been inspired to push their biped’s dancing skills to the limit. The best, in our personal opinion, so far is Dr. GIY. Here are some of his Kyosho MANOI based creations doing their thing. Let us know what you think.
’So you think your robot can dance? (Video)’ continues
The events, including a unique race designed to show off the MANOI humanoid robots manuverability at it's best, are expected to kick off by 11:00 am and run through late afternoon.
Kyosho MANOI Competition
Check out photos from the UK humanoid robot gathering/competiton that was staged concurrently with the UK Micromouse 2009 last weekend. It looks like humanoid robotics is definitely drawing attention and builders on that side of the world.
We’ve often joked about programming our MANOI AT01 humanoid robot to dance like Michael Jackson, knowing full well that it would be almost impossible.
However, two well known robot guru’s here, Dr. GIY and Okamoto-san, put their heads (and hearts) together to create a highly tuned, and no doubt very expensive, MANOI hybrid that can really wail on the dance floor (video below).
They named their new robot “MANOI GO!”, which we’re guessing is a play on words. Of course, the meaning of “Go!” in English is obvious. In Japanese, “Go!” also represents the number 5, and could indicate that the robot costs at least 4X the standard model, which wouldn’t be surprising if they upgraded all the critical servos with the top of the line, high torque, Kondo KRS series.
There are also rumors going around about a major debut for this awesome bot. Stay tuned….
What's going on today in my crazy robot world?
- 22:01 If combat robots are your thing, then get over to YouTube and check out TeamVeloicity's videos! (www.youtube.com/user/TeamVelocity)
- 22:15 The "Uncanny Valley" robot problem gets extended to other everyday objects... (tinyurl.com/other-uncanny-valley-objects) Spooky? Yes!
- 22:33 RoboBuilder has posted a module to support the Microsoft Robot Development System 2008 (tinyurl.com/robobuilder-MSRDS)
- 23:27 Trying to develop C programs to use with the Bioloid CM5? Check out this thread & new C library - tinyurl.com/bioloid-cm5-c-library
- 23:36 Good report covering the Western Japan Welfare Equipment show featuring many assistance robots. tinyurl.com/welfare-equipment-report
- 23:44 You gotta love a competition that automatically disqualifies robots if they serve any useful purpose. tinyurl.com/bakarobot-report
- 23:51 Day 2 report from the Kyosho Humanoid Cup with "Concours de elegance", sprints, and the Hall of Fame- tinyurl.com/kyosho-manoi-day2
- 01:26 Piperoids - the cute 21st century robots made out of paper pipes/straws - piperoid.jp/index.html
- 08:43 Curtis at EngineeringTV shared the best video of the Aldebaran NAO robot we have seen so far: tinyurl.com/engineeringtv-nao-robot
- 08:57 Thanks to Eloise - Hallmark has a very cool Wall-E Christmas ornament (tinyurl.com/walle-christmas). Now, if we only had a tree...
- 10:17 SketchUp has a physics plug-in (tinyurl.com/sketchup-physics) Must model humanoid robots now! (tinyurl.com/sketchup-robot)
Robot Sightings: Dr. Robot tutorial, Sugiura is an Indian God, Jonas and the Stupid Robot, and more…
What's going on today in my crazy robot world?
- 20:16 Tsukumo Robot Kingdom is open for business again after a breif shutdown. tinyurl.com/6pd6gd
- 20:31 Indian robot builders join ROBO-ONE 14 & learn from Sugiura-san (Dynamizer): blog.acyut.com/?p=73. They call him "legendary" & "GOD".
- 20:37 Dr. Robot teaches us how to build a sumo robot from hell: tinyurl.com/6zqggt Definitely got to buy him a new shirt.
- 20:59 We love Star Wars, but isn't making R2D2 into a toilet paper holder going too far? tinyurl.com/54wjlu
- 21:10 With only 256 MB this robot USB memory stick is impractical. tinyurl.com/6y9j39 So, why do I want one?
- 21:22 Jonas challenges the BakaRobo (Stupid Robot) contest, and gets slapped in the process. tinyurl.com/5m44wc
- 21:29 Basquash! Yet another robot movie I'll be putting on my "must-see" list. tinyurl.com/5l72xc
- 21:45 ATR is mapping human brain patterns into visual images: tinyurl.com/5nlmbt
- 21:48 Sangatsu Usagi's great report on the 29th Micromouse Competition: tinyurl.com/6xzhfn
- 23:37 With auto companies in trouble, and Honda dropping F-1, will other research, like Honda's robot legs, survive? htinyurl.com/69ngeb
- 08:51 John published a good, though troubling, study on robot hobby trends (tinyurl.com/robothobbytrends). Let's hope it's only temporary.
- 09:05 The Vex robot system has taken off like wildfire (tinyurl.com/vex-robot-competitions). What makes it so popular with schools?
- 09:15 For robot fans that don't want to build from scratch, PicONE released a cool micromouse robot kit. tinyurl.com/54pw94
- 10:20 Thanks to a reminder from Martin, here's one of the best robot resources around www.robot.org.uk/ even if it doesn't have a RD link.
- 10:25 Robert's next RoboDance version will be out next Spring and will even control the kitchen sink! tinyurl.com/robodance-specs
- 12:12 The Kyosho MANOI robots aren't drawing much attention overseas, but here in Japan they are still hot stuff! tinyurl.com/kyosho-manoi
- 12:26 RT Corp has an under-1 kg. humanoid robot competition scheduled for January 18th starting at 2:00 pm. www.rt-shop.jp/blog/?p=126
- 12:49 140 year old head for a smoking robot automaton (tinyurl.com/smoking-robot-head). Pretty spooky - looks very "Stephen King" style.
- 13:20 Daniel Ruben Rojas sent us a video of this blazingly fast line-follower robot: tinyurl.com/blazing-line-follower-robot running at 80%