We’ve always wondered how all that great technology and AI capability was stuffed into R2D2’s compact little body. While the details are still a closely guarded secret, we did manage to catch a glimpse of what’s actually controlling our little robot buddy by examining this cover image of the R2 Unit Owners Workshop Manual.
Thanks to Trevor.
The massive, 18 meter tall, Tetsujin 28 robot statue in Kobe, Japan was officially unveiled on Sunday, complete with cheering crowds, confetti, and background music from the original series. It remains to be seen if Tetsujin, known as 'Gigantor' in the US, will draw as much public attention as the huge Gundam statue that graced Tokyo Bay this summer.
Hinokio, by the way, had a lot of other dimensions to his character and personality than just the physical.
The website is up for “GUNDAM BIG EXPO”, the ultimate Gundam geek/otaku fest, scheduled for August 21?23, at the Tokyo Big Sight convention center. Advance tickets run 1,300 yen as opposed to 1,500 yen on the day.
Needless to say, there will be tons of commemorative Gundam stuff on sale, including new 30th anniversary models, memorial photo books, t-shirts, caps, and whatever else the organizers and exhibitors can dream up. It will definitely be totally mobbed.
What's going on today in my crazy robot world?
- 23:17 TannerLD explains the new gyro drive used on the Longshot Robot (tinyurl.com/longshot-robot-gyro)
- 09:10 Early photos from the next Terminator flick show John Connor suited up and ready for action. (tinyurl.com/terminator-movie-stills)
- 09:15 We assume that robots won't have any morals, but they might be more ethical than humans. (tinyurl.com/military-robots-with-morals)
- 09:19 A 49 foot tall Asimo wowed the Rose Parade fans with fireworks but also snapped an overhead cable. (tinyurl.com/rose-parade-asimo)
- 09:24 Jobs have been off-shored to India, but some US robots are trying to offset the effect. (tinyurl.com/robot-export-to-india)
- 10:32 We expect robots to be new, but with all their evolving technology, cars may already be robots. (tinyurl.com/volvo-laser-detectors)