Global Cloud Robotics Hackathon 2013 (Video)
It's probably a bit too late for people to register and participate in the 2013 Global Cloud Robotics Hackathon, unless you're a glutton for punishment and a wiz at hacking/coding/developing. Nevertheless, feel free to give it a try if you enjoy a good challenge.
The Hackathon kicked off on April 6th and the final submission deadline is April 14th. Of course, it corresponds to National Robotics Week. In addition to all the glory and bragging rights, the sponsors have put up cash prizes totaling $3,000. Personally, I prefer the energy and interaction of a live hackathon where a big portion of the benefit is getting to hang out with other developers, exchanging tips, experiences, and ideas.
The prizes are nice, no question, but it's the interaction and exchange that really turns me on. The organizers have also started Google Hangout based Q&A sessions to respond to questions from remote participants. Last year the hackathon focused on getting people involved with robotics, even at a novice or primative level. This year the focus has shifted to remote monitoring, an area that could produce tremendous benefits in the long term
Related links: Cloud Robotics Hackathon
You might also enjoy:
- Ken Goldberg, “Cloud Robotics & African Robotics Network Design Challenge” at World Maker Faire 2012 (Video)
- Connecting the Google Android Cloud to Real-World Robotics Using Open Accessory (Video)
- Naovatar – Grove Scene – Global Game Jam 2013 (Video)
- Met Makerbot Hackathon – Day 1 – Micah Ganske & Colette Robbins (Video)
- Google Grabs Motorola Mobility for a 63% Premium