Seeing The World As Your Robot Sees It (Video)
While other robot researchers have demonstrated interesting implementations combining the Microsoft Kinect device with robots of various types, Taylor Veltrop has aways had a compelling desire to develop an integrated system that will enable him to experience the world inhabited by his robot.
So far, he's been able to get his NAO humanoid robot to follow his upper torso; then his walking direction and turns; dance; and he's even incorporated a treadmill into the system which allowed him to exceed the normal space limitations imposed by the typical lab environment.
Now, he's taken the overall system design one step further by adding a head mounted display integrated with the NAO robot's cameras and the Kinect system so that it tracks his head movements. This allows him to not only see what his robot sees, but also to 'look around' with considerable freedom of movement.
Taylor promises that his next video will show the total system in operation. I can hardly wait!
You might also enjoy:
- Using the Kinect with Willow Garage ROS as a Master/Slave Robot Control (Video)
- Head Mounted Display Set To Roll Out (Video)
- Backyard Genius 2011: The Year’s 10 Best DIY Creations – Popular Mechanics
- Humanoid Robot Navigation Teleoperation Using NAO and Kinect (Video)
- How To Impress Japanese Robot Fans (Video)