Getting My Robot Under Control

After I actually managed to get Maxwell, my first robot, to move around under his own power, I wanted to take a look at how repeatable his movements are. My earlier program was setup to have Maxwell move about one robot length forward; reverse back by the same amount; rotate 90 degrees CCW; then rotate 90 degrees CW. If Maxwell's servos were perfect he would end up in exactly the same place and orientation. It was obvious from watching him move around, that he was far, very far, from perfect.

In order to get a handle on what was happening, I put my camera tripod on top of my desk, and used my digital camera to video his movements. The camera is a Sony F-717 designed for straight photography. I wouldn't use it as a video camera replacement, but its quality turned out to be more than sufficient to handle this type of project.

To exaggerate any errors so that they would be easier to analyze, I rewrote the program so that Maxwell repeats the same move sequence five times in a row. Video from several test runs showed that although the robot was making linear moves in a straight line, it was definitely having problems maintaining a repeatable course. 

This chart shows the robot's original position in red, and it's final position after five repetitions in black. Each time it went through the cycle its ending position was offset by a small factor on an X, Y basis, and by a large factor rotationally. By the time it had completed the 5 move cycles, Maxwell's longitudinal axis had rotated by approximately 135 degrees. There was also some small X and Y displacement of his center - but I'm going to ignore that for the moment until I get the bigger problems sorted out. It may turn out to be a side effect, and I don't want to waste a lot of time chasing that particular rabbit until I have to.

Examining the video in more detail it appeared that the biggest single problem was overshooting due to inertia. Once the robot was moving, it tended to continue moving even after the program had stopped telling the servos to move. The robot's momentum was hard to slow down purely by the friction generated within the servos.

To test this hypothesis, the program was modified to call the 'fullstop' subroutine after each move. The Fullstop subroutine sends series of PULSOUT commands to the servos with a value of 750, which should be zero rotation. The modification appears to correct roughly 80-90% of the problem, but there are obviously other contributing factors. I'll have to dig deeper.

Download servo_test_0004.wmv (video - 300 kb.)

You might also enjoy:

  1. One Step Forward, Two Steps Back…
  2. Maxwell – A Robot's Genesis
  3. Maxwell Lives!
Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Reddit
  • email
  • LinkedIn
  • Slashdot
  • StumbleUpon
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us

Leave a Reply